Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Good News…. Bad News…! And Can You Help Me

During English class on last Sunday only 10 students were attend. May be the absentee have another program on that day because that day is last day of school holiday. We have used to do 2 units, namely as Good News…. Bad News…! And Can You Help Me. In the first unit we used to introduce to some general expressions for expressing congratulations and sympathies. We also have been introduced to the informal and formal ways of congratulating and expressing sympathies. And finally we were presented with activities relevant to real life situations.

An Example of the activities:


Create a dialogue expressing your sympathy to:
A friend whose grandfather has just passed away.

Me: Suhaimi, I am deeply upset to hear your grandfather just passed away.
Suhami: Emm. .. ya, it's so hard for us.

Me: At the first stage, I pleased to hear that your grandfather is discharged from hospital but how it going happened?

Suhaimi: He has a heart complication after a day he was discharged. I would like to invite you and your family to come to our thanksgiving prayer tonight.

Me: Thank you for your invitation but unfortunately I will going back to my hometown this evening. Please send my warm regards to your grandmother.

Suhaimi: It’s ok. I will.


In Unit “ Can You help me”, we were presented with language expressions used in making and accepting a request or an offer as well as refusing a request or an offer.

An example of the activities:

You are in a hotel. One of you (A) is the receptionist, the other (B) a guest. The guest has several requests and phones the receptionist from her/his room.
Situation: There is no shampoo.

A: Hello, receptionist here.
B: Hello, I want to complaint that is no shampoo in my bathroom.
A: Well, I am afraid, we already put a bottle of shampoo in bathroom. Would you please to check it again, sir?
B:I have used to check it. But I can't find that shampoo.
A:Oh, really. I’ll send the shampoo immediately to your room, sir.
B: You’re a great help.
A: It’s my pleasure, sir.


p/s ; I’m posting this article from Makmal ICT3